Lead Paint Removal, also known as Lead Abatement,
is the action of safely removing lead paint and the
hazards the product creates.
HRS are fully insured and have all the specialized equipment
to Remove lead safely whether you have a small project or
large Industrial project HRS can provide you with a free
We work closely with your team to ensure a cost effective
and programme friendly solution is implemented.
What is Lead?
Lead is a heavy, grey metal which is also soft and pliable. Lead dust and particles stick to surfaces. The chemical symbol for lead is Pb. People used lead even before history was recorded. The Egyptians used it in solder, cosmetics, and building materials. The Greeks and Romans used lead in plumbing. The Romans used it in food containers. They added lead to wine because it tastes sweet and prevents spoiling. Why was Lead used?
Lead has been put in products for many reasons:
» It prevents corrosion. Lead will not crack easily with wear, weather, or temperature change.
» It kills mould and mildew. Lead is used in areas with lots of moisture.
» It is easy to shape. Lead is a soft metal and melts at a low temperature (620 F). o
» It is strong. Lead has a lot of mechanical strength.
» It blocks radiation. Lead is used in products designed to block radiation, such as the lead aprons used when X-rays are taken.
» It blocks sound. Lead was sometimes used for soundproofing. » It helps paint dry. Lead was added to paint to quicken the drying process.
Where can you find Lead Containing Materials? Can you break this up with some photos ?
Lead can be found almost anywhere today. Let's look at some places where we find lead: Lead-based paint is defined in the law (known as Title X) as paint, varnish, shellac, or other coatings on surfaces that contain more than 1.0 mg/cm of 2 lead or more than 0.5% (5,000 ppm) lead by weight. Lead was used in paints for colour and durability. Lead-based paint made a coating that stood up to wear and tear and weather changes. Lead was also added to paints to help them dry faster. Lead-based paint seems like a good product. But when it gets old or damaged, it creates lead dust and chips. Sometimes children put lead paint chips in their mouths and swallow lead. Dust from lead-based paint is easy to breathe and swallow. If you breathe or swallow lead, it is a poison in the body.
Lead dust pollutes the air, soil, household dust, and any surface it lands on. Lead dust contaminates floors, counter tops, furniture, toys, shelves, books, pets, and people. Lead dust can get on children when they play on the floor, even when the floor looks clean. Children put their dusty hands and toys in their mouth and swallow lead dust. Pets can pick up lead from dust and soil. When children play with pets, they pick up lead dust. This is called hand-to-mouth contact. Most lead-poisoned children are poisoned by lead dust. House Paint. Lead-based paint in the home is a major source of lead poisoning.
Any home built before 1978 may contain lead based paint (87% of homes built before 1940). Homes built before 1960 are more likely to contain higher levels of lead. Lead-based paint was used inside homes on woodwork, walls, floors, windows, doors, and stairs because it stood up to wear and tear. It was also used on the outside of homes, porches, windows, and doors because it stood up to weather changes. Lead-based paint kills mold and mildew, which grow in wet areas. So, lead-based paint was often used in places where moisture is found, like kitchen and bathroom walls and on windows and doors. Health Risks associated with Lead, Lead has caused sickness for thousands of years.
Ancient Egyptians knew that lead could kill people if they swallowed too much of it. In the Middle Ages, doctors realized that the health problems of painters, miners, and artists were caused by exposure to lead on the job. In the early 1900's, doctors found that lead–based paint caused reproductive problems for workers and their families. Doctors began to study lead-based paint as a cause of childhood diseases. Many doctors in the United States studied and wrote about childhood lead poisoning. In 1913, Dr. Alice Hamilton wrote about painters and the hazards of their work. She documented their exposure to lead and their health problems. Lead is a dangerous poison. You can't see or feel the lead that can make you sick. Lead is most dangerous when it is in the form of dust or fumes. Lead dust particles can be very small. Sometimes they are so small, you can't see them. They are easy to breathe if they are in the air. They are also easy to swallow if they are on anything you put in your mouth-like food, cigarettes, or fingers. Lead dust settles on flat surfaces. When you touch those surfaces, you get lead on your hands. If you put your hands to your mouth, you will swallow lead dust. Since young children put their hands in their mouths a lot, they are at a high risk for lead poisoning.
Lead Containing Materials Removal Requirements Working on the interior
• Remove furniture, rugs, curtains, food, clothing and other household items.
• Cover the floor with disposable double plastic sheeting and tape the sheeting to the skirting boards. Dispose of the top sheet with the debris. • Keep the bottom sheet in place during the wash down.
• Cover or temporarily remove carpet to prevent it becoming contaminated with lead dust. Lead dust is difficult to remove from carpet, even with a HEPA vacuum cleaner. Carpet exposed to chalking or flaking paint may need to be replaced.
• Cover openings, such as gaps around pipes and between floorboards, immovable surfaces such as countertops and shelves with plastic sheeting and heavy duty tape to prevent dust from entering.
• Tape around the door seals of refrigerators.
• Turn off forced-air heating and air conditioning. Cover and seal doors and air ducts for heating and cooling systems.
• Cover entrances to the work area with two lengths of plastic sheeting which overlap each other in the middle. Tape the outside edges at the top and sides to the door jambs.
• Close the windows unless using a torch or open flame or chemical strippers.
• Use exhaust fans when using chemical strippers indoors.
• Repair or replace torn sheets immediately.
• Exclude all others from the work area, especially pregnant women, children and pets. How to clean the site
• Remain in protective clothing, including gloves and respirator when cleaning the site.
• Place large disposable items including the plastic sheet and other debris into tough plastic bags.
• Vacuum all surfaces including the tarpaulin used for exterior work with a suitable commercial vacuum cleaner fitted with a HEPA filter.
• Wet-clean hard surfaces using a carpet steam cleaner or by wet mopping several times. Put dust into tough sealable plastic bags. Alternatively, some contract cleaning services offer an effective chemical method of removing lead dust.
• Do not use a broom, compressed air or a vacuum cleaner without a HEPA filter as it will spread lead dust.
• Use a spray bottle to wet down all dust and debris lying on the plastic sheeting before taking them up.
• Wipe down all surfaces in the work areas with a damp cloth.
• Wash the area with 25 grams of 5% trisodium phosphate (TSP) in five litres of hot water or sugar soap. Renew the solution frequently to prevent it becoming contaminated.
• Dispose of cloths and mops to avoid spreading lead dust during cleaning.
• Vacuum dry surfaces such as skirting boards, architraves, window sills, casings, shelves and counter-tops until no dust or residue remains.
• Dampen dusty outside areas with spray from a garden hose and sweep and collect debris. Avoid dry sweeping since it spreads lead dust.
• Shovel paint debris into heavy duty plastic bags.
• Remove the top layer of contaminated soil and put into tough sealable plastic bags.
• Clean tools with TSP solution or sugar soap.
• Clean respirators after use and store them in a container away from the lead source.
• Remove contaminated clothing before leaving the work area and place clothes in a plastic bag until washed.
• Clean up the site frequently throughout the day and vacuum at the end of each day. How to dispose of lead contaminated waste
• Place lead-containing debris into deflated heavy duty plastic bags and seal them.
• Pour lead-contaminated water generated as a result of wet scraping or sanding, or during clean-up, into a strong, securely sealed container.
• Provide short-term secure storage.
• Transport debris and solid waste materials containing lead to waste systems.
• Check with the waste management section of the local council about proper waste disposal.
• Ensure that all bulky items are covered during transportation